If you’re looking for a treat for your children that’s different from the norm, then carob is a wonderful alternative. There are all kinds of carob treats readily available, and you can buy it in powder form to add to recipes too. It’s great for kids with dairy allergies, and the ‘free from’ sector often uses it. As well as buying some for your own children, it’s helpful to have some in your cupboard in case any children you know has a dairy allergy or intolerance, or gluten sensitivity. It’s great to have something for children with allergy to enjoy and share.
Here’s carob, in a 2 minute read…
- Unlike cocoa, carob in naturally sweet, low in fat, has fewer calories and is regarded as stimulant free (from theobromine or caffeine).
- Carob is a member of the legume plant family. The trees are large evergreens, and are commonly found in Mediterranean coastal regions.
- The pods are harvested, roasted, milled, sieved and are ground down into a fine flour.
- Carob is rich in vitamins and minerals, including potassium, calcium, B vitamins, vitamin A and iron.
- Carob is perfect for adding to cakes, smoothies, biscuits, custards and other puddings. Its fantastic for warm drinks.
- Look out for the many carob products in your health food store. Carob drops might be available to buy loose, as they were when the first health store opened in Birmingham over 100 years ago (see our feature in HealthyDoesHealthStore, about the heritage of health stores. Click here).